Have you ever wondered why a certain product was invented? Some of them that have been a big success actually were a mistake.
Think of these products:
1. Coca-Cola – A pharmacist, trying to make a tonic for people with sore teeth, found that when he taste-tested it, it wasn’t too bad. He added a little carbonated water and low and behold . . . a great product.
2. Sticky Notes – Post it notes by 3M was discovered when trying to find a better adhesive tape. The scientist found an adhesive material that just wasn’t sticky enough though. While this same scientist was at church looking for a way to stick notes to his hymnal, he decided to use that not so sticky stuff he created to help hold his work in place. A new idea was born.
3. Scotchgard – Another 3M product was created out of trying to create rubber for airplane fuel lines. After spilling some on their shoes, the scientists realized that this stuff was protective and wouldn’t come off. Through time, the shoes looked dirty everywhere except for where they spilled the substance.
4. Rubber – Its first use was when they discovered it could erase things from a piece of paper. The original substance was unstable because it would become too liquid or shattered based on temperature. When rubber and sulfur were accidentally dropped onto a hot stove, the combination turned out to be something no one had anticipated.
5. Penicillin – Spores that contaminated a bacteria sample were the unintended beginning for this drug. When the scientist took a closer look at these spores, he noticed they were actually doing harm to the bacteria.
6. White Out – A secretary who took pride in her work discovered this while trying to cover up some of her errors. Soon other secretaries were asking to borrow her concoction. This started the Mistake Out Company, later named Liquid Paper.
Do you want to read about some more mistakes? Check out these other famous blunders by clicking on the links below:
7. Corn Flakes
9. Silly Putty
12. Potato Chips
0 thoughts on “15 Products Made by Mistake”
The indispensable product is the one which we can never do without, but didn’t know that we missed it until it was too late to say that we didn’t want it in the first place…