Wal-Mart recently inspired an unusual entrepreneurial competition. Inventors could submit product ideas, with the hope of having their product available on the stores’ shelves. Wal-Mart is not the first company to recognize the importance of fostering creativity in unusual ways. In college-level innovation and entrepreneurship courses, one of the things students learn is that organizations place a high value on entrepreneurial thinking.
Wal-Mart initially created the entrepreneurial contest to create buzz in social media. The popularity of the promotion led to some creative ideas by inventors who sought attention for their creations. The Wall Street Journal reported that the winner would have the opportunity to sell on Wal-Mart.com as well as in the physical stores.
The idea of organizations recognizing the importance of entrepreneurial talents is becoming more popular. Check out some of the following articles that demonstrate the value of entrepreneurship in the modern workplac
- Forbes: A Growing Startup Should Hire Only Entrepreneurs
- Bloomberg: Need Innovation? Hire an Entrepreneur
- Economic Times: Top IT Companies Hiring Failed Entrepreneurs
- Google Hires Digg Entrepreneur
- Andrew Hamilton: Large Companies and Entrepreneurs Can Work Well Together
- Companies Hiring Entrepreneurs for Innovation
- UC Will Hire Entrepreneur to Set up Companies
- Entrepreneurship and Innovation in Large Companies
- Leveraging Dynamics Between Large Companies and Entrepreneurs
- Entrepreneurs Organization
- Top 30 Links for the Successful Entrepreneur
- Entrepreneurs: Options from Kickstarter
- Could Augmented Reality Technology Inspire the Next Steve Jobs?
- Top Entrepreneur Topics and Value of the Small Business Administration
- Help with Yelp: Important Site for Small Business