If you have ever shopped online for an item and then later noticed an ad for that exact item on another page, you have been retargeted. It may cause some problems for people who are trying to surprise others with something special. Consider the scenario of the man who has searched for engagement rings. If his future fiancé should suddenly have ads for rings show up all over their shared computer screen, the jig may be up!
To see what it is like to be retargeted, try going to the site: GreatCall. Once you are on that site, you will notice they sell a phone service. You might then decide to go to a site like Dictionary.com. Once you get to the dictionary site, you might notice that suddenly there is an ad for GreatCall.
Now take a look at the top right corner of that ad. There is a little sideways triangle that you can click that explains AdSense. “The AdChoices symbol appears on web pages and ads to let you know when information about your interests or demographics may have been collected or used to show you ads – what’s known as interest-based advertising. You can opt out of interest-based ads, as well interest-based advertising from other participating companies by visiting the aboutads.info choices page.” Click on the following link to find out how to manage your ad preferences.
- Top 30 Links for the Successful Entrepreneur
- Top 10 Companies Code of Ethics and Conduct
- Top 10 Company Mission Statements
- How to Conduct a Feasibility Study
- How to Create a Business Plan
- Business Plan Outline
- Feasibility Plan Outline
- Writing a Winning Business Plan
- Entrepreneurs finding Unique Ways to Create Business Plans
- Top 10 Links to Explain Social CRM
- Avoiding Entrepreneurial Failures
- 15 Marketing Trends in 2013