I often speak to students and career groups about how to obtain a dream job or reinvent a career. I have listed some of the most important points from my lectures, with appropriate links to articles, to explain the process. Be sure to click on the links listed under each step to watch videos and read the articles to get step by step instructions.
- Define Your Goals: People fear making mistakes. Although it can be argued there are no mistakes, only learning experiences, part of avoid mistakes is to have good goals. The goals must be measurable with timeframes listed for when you wish to achieve those goals.
- Analyze “You” as the Product: To get a job, you must showcase your talents by thinking of “you” as the product. When you are networking and interviewing, you are “selling” a product and that product is you. Be sure to analyze your online reputation. You can be sure that companies will check on this.
- Create a Personal SWOT Analysis: SWOT stands for strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats. By creating a personal SWOT analysis, you can work on capitalizing on your strengths and find solutions for any weaknesses or threats.
- Analyze Your Competition: When you are interviewing, you must remember there are a lot of others that are competing for the same job. Think of those things that you bring to the table that your competition does not. What do others have that you need to be working on in the meantime? Have you done your research? If an interviewer asks you the question: “Why did you pick our company?” . . . do you have a good answer? Know the answers to difficult job interview questions.
- Capitalize on Personality Skills: Part of finding the right job is based on understanding your personality preferences. Personality tests like Myers Briggs MBTI can be very helpful in leading you to the right job. It is also important to work on developing emotional intelligence. Find out why employers are placing as much value on EQ as IQ.
- Analyze Jobs: Find out what jobs pay: One of the first steps is to find out what a job is worth. Consider what types of jobs motivate you. Check out top 10 ways to find a job or have a job find you.
- Showcase Your Talents: Use social networking to get noticed. Find out how you can use a simple PowerPoint presentation and Camtasia to showcase your abilities. If you are not on LinkedIn, you should be. Use Google Docs and LinkedIn to get noticed. Rev up your business card by adding a QR code to it. Avoid putting these top 10 wrong things on resumes.
- Ace the Interview: Once you are able to obtain an interview, use personality skills to wow them. Deliver information in the job interview based upon understanding introverts and extroverts. Keep in mind the proper answer to tough interview questions.
- Follow up on the Interview: Always follow up with a thank you note. It is important to stand out from the crowd and having manners is very important. It is important to realize that millennials have unique job expectations and may not come across as respectful at times.
- Use what You Have Learned to Succeed: Continue to use the things you have learned in order to obtain the job. Don’t stop setting goals. Stay connected through social networking in case the job doesn’t work out.
- Increasing Motivation, Right vs. Left Brain, MBTI and Who Will Rule the World (drdianehamilton.wordpress.com)