Just as Twitter has grown to be an important marketing tool, texting is not just for stating LOL anymore. There are some very important uses for texting, aka SMS (short messaging service). Check out some helpful links to explain texting terminology and uses:
- Donate to Charity – Pew Research recently reported that almost 1 in 10 Americans donate to charity through texting.
- Search Sites Like Google – By texting GOOGL (46645), you can search Google without opening your browser. Check out: Six Things You Never Knew Your Cell Phone Could Do. Word/number texts like GOOGL (46645) are called common short codes. Check out: Basics of CSCs to find out everything you need to know about common short codes.
- Send and Receive Email – To find out how to use SMS to access email, check out: 16 Things You Can Do With SMS Text Messages.
- Check the Weather – By texting 4CAST (42278), you can access weather forecasts. Check out: Five Great Things You Can Do With a Text Message For Free.
- Check Calendar – By texting GEVENT (48368), you can access your Google calendar and schedule appointments. Check out: Ten Terrific Things You Can Do With Text Messaging.
- Track Packages – Your SMS can track your UPS, Fed Ex, DHL and other packages through TrackThis. Check out: Run Your Life with SMS: 10 Things You Didn’t Know You Could Do Via Text.
- Learn Texting Abbreviations – You may know LOL, but there is an entire site of information dedicated to explaining what all of those text messaging and online chat abbreviations mean and text message abbreviations.
- Text From a Computer – If you have a computer and someone’s 10-digit phone number, you can text them without needing a phone. The following explains how to text people based on their carrier (i.e., Verizon, AT&T, etc.): Text from a Computer.
- Create a Common Short Code (CSC) – You can create your own CSC campaign by leasing a code. Check out: Obtaining a CSC. Remember the CSC is like GOOGL or 4CAST noted above. Keep in mind that leasing the code is the first step. You’ll still need to negotiate agreements with each of the wireless carriers to activate your short code. To be part of the CSCA directory listing, click here.
- Enhance Business – Business can utilize short codes for contests, lead capture and more. Check out: Top 10 Business Goals Enhanced by Short Codes.
- Can Texting Damage Writing Skills?
- Use QR Codes to Promote Your Business
- Marketers Target Impatient Customers through Smartphone Quick Response QR Codes
- QR Code: Why You Should Be Using it to Promote You, Your Business and Products
- Is Email on Its Way Out?
- How Google Voice Works
- How Americans Use Text Messaging (Pew Research)