One of the hardest parts of getting a new business off of the ground is to have enough funding. Many entrepreneurs use family members as personnel in order to avoid paying wages. It may be quite expensive to hire people to take orders or process requests. The Wall Street Journal article Can the Tablet Please Take Your Order Now included some examples of how some small businesses have begun to use tablets instead of people in the customer-ordering process.
If customers can order through a digital device, it may not only be cheaper but faster. There are app-building tools that entrepreneurs can use to create a way for customers to input their orders. Some companies have used QR codes to speed up the order process. Using apps is another logical alternative. With talk of increasing the minimum wage, some small businesses are looking for ways to remain profitable. If tablets become a popular way to order, it may impact many minimum-wage workers. “In all, one-third of low-wage workers are employed by businesses with fewer than 100 employees, according to the National employment Law Project, an organized-labor-backed advocacy group for low-wage workers.”
Not only may entrepreneurs experience some cost savings by utilizing tablets and apps, there may be some other entrepreneurial opportunities for the app designers. According to the Wall Street Journal article, “Some entrepreneurs see a promising market in selling technologies to small businesses that might help them to streamline operations.” While this may cost some minimum wage-earners jobs, it may also be opportunities to train them for higher-skilled positions.
- The Top 30 Links for the Successful Entrepreneur
- Famous Entrepreneurs Who Hit It Big With Humble Beginnings
- Top 7 Ways for Entrepreneurs to Obtain Funding
- Famous Entrepreneurs Provide Inspiration
- Could Augmented Reality Technology Inspire the Next Steve Jobs?
- Crowdfunding Options
- Top 10 Companies’ Financial Statements
- How to Conduct a Feasibility Study
- How to Create a Business Plan
- Business Plan Outline
- Feasibility Plan Outline
- Problems with Crowdfunding
- Improve Your Karma with Microlending
- 50 Famous People Who Failed Before Becoming Successful
- Top Entrepreneurial Topics and Value of SBA