New employees go through a process that is referred to onboarding. This is the time that the company can make employees feel welcome. It is also a time when they can begin to work on things like creating open communication, sharing a corporate vision, and defining goals. In the article Employee Onboarding, the following list contains high-level objectives of onboarding:
- Helping the employee to identify with their new employer.
- Allowing the employee to understand some of the company’s values and priorities.
- Building an optimistic attitude towards the company.
- Avoiding misunderstandings.
- Helping the employee feel valued.
- Encouraging socialization and creating a sense of belonging.
- Reducing new employee anxiety.
- Setting of performance expectations.
- Decreasing the learning curve.
For more information about how employers and employees can have a successful onboarding process, check out the following articles:
- Top 10 Commandment of Employee Onboarding
- Onboarding Done Better
- How to Upgrade Your Employee Onboarding
- Onboarding New Employees from SHRM
- Best Practices for Employee Onboarding