I teach a lot of marketing classes where we talk about product placement. In a recent discussion we were talking about FedEx and the movie Castaway. I read that the company didn’t pay for that mention. I find that hard to believe but I guess it is possible.
Product placement is big business. Recently BeBe launched a new line of clothes based on its popularity from 90210.
Here is a list of some very noticeable products placed in movies that you may remember.
- Taco Bell in Demolition Man
- Popeye’s Chicken in Little Nicky
- Reese’s Pieces in ET
- New Beetle in Herbie: Fully Loaded
- AOL in You’ve Got Mail
- Several Dolls like Barbie, Mr. Potato Head in Toy Story
- Aquafina in National Treasure
- CNN in Contact
- Dr. Pepper in Spiderman
- Apple computers in too many movies to mention
Check out the following links for some more examples: